Utills Thoughts and Ideas

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Pro Evolution Soccer 5


I got my copy PES 5 for PSP this morning. I took it on the train to Uni to get a feel for how it plays. I've read some mixed reviews online and so I wanted to test it for myself to see how it is.

Ok...so it has no Master League or commentary. Oh yeah...and no infrastructure mode either...but the rest of it is brilliant. All the tension and excitement from the PS2 is here. The crowd even gets more excited as chances are created. Its a shame really that they didn't try to put in any sort of commentary but I guess there just isn't any space in memory to do it. I found the controls really easy to use with intricate movements being recorded really well. The game itself has got more complex this time round with passes and crosses requiring the player to turn in the necessary direction before they can be pulled off.

It is an absolute pain to put this game down. I could have played it for hours had I not had to get off the train and walk home :( ! I don't have PES 5 for the PS2 and so I can't talk about the PS2 Link Cable to copy across PES5 data from the PS2 version to take away and play with a customised team. I also have to test the wireless gameplay, once my mate gets his copy, but that aside I think its an excellent game to kill time on the train. It's one of those traditional handheld games which can fit into a small time frame whilst waiting for the train or just generally sitting around.

The graphics are very good for a console with the players easily recognisable and the action fast and furious. With Pro Evo 5 there are much fewer in box opportunities with most of the play taking place in the middle of the pitch. But that's football for you...and it does feel much more realistic this time. More will come as I play it but this is from a hours worth of gameplay and so I haven't explored all the features like the training or league etc.

Although most people complain about no masterleague in PES 5 for the PSP I think the feature they left out that would have sent the PES up a notch is the infrastructure mode. Imagine sitting in a boring lecture and connecting up to the uni Wifi (they have lots of wifi at uni - don't know if they block PSPs though), and playing against some random guy on the other side of the globe who is playing on the PC or PS2. That would have been cool and would have given it a greater edge of something like FIFA. I know FIFA sux in terms of gameplay compared to PES but somehow or other they always manage to beat the PES in features and interesting add-ons.

I don't know if it is possible to update games, possibly adding something on your mem stick? but if it is then I think they need to add in this capability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home