Utills Thoughts and Ideas

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Google Calendar

With tomorrow being wednesday there have been mutterings that Google is to release a calendar very soon. As noted by several people the calendar site of google redirects to their homepage.

The main reason why I have written this post is just to add my thoughts to what Google may bring to the table with a Calendar application. Being an AI company who excels in the mathematical side of AI (bayesian inference, evolutionary algorithms, machine learning, etc) I think that it may be something more to do with task scheduling rather than simple text searching. If google is able to create the right sort of tool to learn from what a user finds to be important then they can easily have an AI based todo list. They may even link this in with Gmail in that deadlines and meetings from emails can be sent directly to the calendar program. The idea I have in mind here is like the Google Maps integration where an address in an email allows one to find it on the map.

Since social tools are all the craze at the moment with RSS being part of it I guess people would be able to subscribe to other people's todo/wish lists and generate some sort of group calendar. I don't actually use any calendar applications so I dont know too much about this subject. I use post-it notes to do my calendaring :) and so a simple todo list app with Gmail integration would be fine for me.

More importantly integration with some sort of mobile interface would be a good idea and since Google have been looking for Mobile Developers then I'm guessing that mobile is the next platform they want to target.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home